The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a difference in people’s lives.
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Research Group Leader: Energy Demand within the Energy Centre. The incumbent will establish, lead, maintain and grow CSIR’s Energy Centre’s knowledge base with respect to research and development of Energy Efficiency and Demand Response solutions for different end-users and industries in South Africa. This position is based in Pretoria.
About the Centre:
The Energy Centre at the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), although still in the ramp-up phase, is the thought leader in South Africa with regard to solutions for the "South African Energy Transition" towards a cleaner and more sustainable energy sector. The Energy Centre currently hosts almost 40 highly experienced engineers and researchers. The vision is to become the first port of call for decision makers in policymaking, industry and science when it comes to the South African energy transition. Current research activities across the Energy Centre are resource and technology-specific research topics in solar and wind power-generation technologies, battery and hydrogen research, energy efficiency and demand response, energy-system planning and operation, as well as energy market design.
- Lead Energy Efficiency (EE) and Demand Response research projects such as the determination of the energy intensity of different economic sectors, development and testing of EE solutions and assessment of energy demand along all end-use sectors;
- Provide leadership in formulating research, development and innovation strategies and road maps as well as providing direction to the Energy Centre on the development of Energy Efficiency and Demand Response long term vision;
- Initiate and supervise technical reports, expert studies and investigations, articles, conference papers and presentations aimed at the energy industries and research institutions and academia, locally and internationally;
- Provide training on energy efficiency technologies, target setting, measurement & verification of energy savings and other related topics to CSIR employees and externally, including advising of university students on their thesis projects;
- Formulate research proposals and develop relationships with potential clients and collaborators in R&D at global level around Energy Efficiency and Demand Response topics.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Master’s degree in a scientific/engineering field or equivalent with eight years’ experience in energy efficiency and demand Response, Research, Development and Innovation (RDI) environment at a management level;
- Experience in applying international standards and protocols in conducting energy audits and measurement and verification of energy savings;
- Experience in conducting energy audits in various sectors and implementing demand response measures to improve energy usage and reduce demand;
- Experience in energy efficiency data management and analysis;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of energy efficiency protocols, technologies and programme design and implementation;
- A good understanding of the link between energy efficiency and demand response;
- A good understanding of the use of energy efficiency as an environmental compliance strategy;
- An understanding of various energy efficiency business and funding models;
- Must be familiar with energy efficiency data management systems and software;
- In-depth knowledge of energy efficiency and demand response programme design and implementation;
- Demonstrated understanding of key issues relevant to the South African energy efficiency industry and related topics including end-use energy efficiency; demand response; distributed resources technologies; and Demand Side Management programmes;
- Demonstrated strong written communication skills through report origination, draft/final revisions, ability to review and comment on work of peers, and complete high quality report deliverables.
Visit https://www.csir.co.za/vacancies and select Reference Number 308435 to apply.
Closing date: 30 September 2017.
Please note that feedback will be given to shortlisted candidates only.
Edited by: Creamer Media Reporter
SAVE THIS ARTICLE